What is Motion Style Acupuncture Treatment (MSAT)?
- MSAT is a treatment that involves active or passive movement of the patient while the acupuncture needles are inserted, and is an effective treatment for musculoskeletal disease patients.
- MSAT has integrated neurophysiological aspects with the traditional acupuncture theory, and is generally used in conjunction with Chuna treatment. It is also different in the manual stimulation method from Dong-si acupuncture.
- MSAT is not only used for low back pain, but can also be used for a wide variety of musculoskeletal diseases, and has been shown to be a valid option of clinical care for stroke patients with paralysis symptoms.
The applications and patient symptoms
- ① Acute non-specific low back pain patients with disability due to severe back and leg pain.
- ② MSAT is especially effective for patients with highly restricted lumbar ROM from severe low back pain, and patients whose pain is severely aggravated upon movement or shift in position.
- ③ Patients usually report low back pain and/or leg pain from acute lumbar sprains or acute HIVD.
- ④ Leg pain may range from a numb and dull sensation or tingling sensation to extreme pain in the hip, thigh, calf or foot area.
Effects of motion style acupuncture treatment in acute low back pain patients with severe disability: A multicenter, randomized, controlled, comparative effectiveness trial
Short term effects of motion style acupuncture treatment (MSAT) in acute low back pain patients with severe disability: A multicenter, randomized, controlled trial
Motion style acupuncture treatment (MSAT) for acute low back pain with severe disability: a multicenter, randomized, controlled trial protocol
Acute and Long Term Benefits of Motion Style Treatment (MST): Two Case Reports
The Clinical Report on 3 Temporomandibular Disorder Patient Cases Treated with Motion Style Treatment